An Ohio tot may have accidentally sparked the fire at his grandmother’s house that claimed his life, authorities said.
Amari Campbell, 3, had been playing with a lighter and incense when the couch caught fire around 2:20 p.m. Monday at the Cincinnati apartment, news station WLWT reported.
Neighbors helped to rescue Campbell’s grandmother, who was caring for him at the time, city fire officials said.
But flames prevented them from getting to the toddler, who firefighters found hiding under a bed in the burning apartment, officials said.
Campbell suffered serious burns and was taken to the hospital, where he died a short time later.
No one else was wounded in the fire, but it displaced three other people who lived in separate apartments.
Campbell’s father, Robert Eubanks, on Monday thanked a neighbor who braved the flames to try and save the toddler.
“To the guy who tried to go in there and get my son — I love you for that man because I would’ve ran to get yours. I wish I was here because I would’ve been in there,” Eubanks told the news station.
Campbell’s aunt, Caroline Eubanks, remembered the toddler as a “sweet young boy.”
“He’s full of laughter and just funny, you know. That’s Amari, you know, he’s my baby,” she said.
With Post wires